Journey Through Dementia

Journey Through Dementia

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Very Bad Day

Today was a terrible day.  I decided NOT to go to Atria for lunch, but to go over after 1 p.m., by which time she should be home from the dining room.  Only when I got there at 1:30, she was still asleep.  Deeply asleep.

I wasn't sure what to do (after checking to make sure she was breathing) so I turned on the TV, hoping it would wake her up.  It did, but she just went to the bathroom and then went back into her room and shut the door.  I got up and opened it and she was standing there, hair standing straight up on her head, looking frantic. I told it was 1:30 in the afternoon.

She put on clothes (the dirty clothes she has worn for the past week...with big black blotches on the pants) and came out to sit on the couch with her head in her hands and kind of moaning softly.  She said that all her insides were shaking and her stomach was rolling.  She sat like that for a very long time while I just watched her, feeling helpless and tearful and wondering if I should make another one-time appointment with my therapist.

She kind of toppled over to her left and after checking to be sure she was still breathing, I decided she was going back to sleep and I decided to read while I waited.

 In a bit she sat up, looked at me, and groggily asked "How's Mom?"  I said "Mom?  YOU're my Mom."  She obviously thought I was her sister.  Then a couple of minutes later she asked me where Bev was.  Then she put her head in the other direction and went back to sleep.

I let her sleep for about an hour, then decided to leave.  I started to get up, but made a noise and it woke her up.

"Oh...HI!," she aid, seeming brighter.  She asked how long I'd been there and when I told her I'd been there 2 hours, she asked "Why didn't you wake me up?"

Jeri called, but I couldn't talk with her because my cell phone battery was about dead, so she called back on my mother's phone.  It was funny listening to my mother run through her list of about 4 questions that she always asks Jeri and then told her she would talk to her later.

She was still somewhat out of it when I left, but definitely better than when  got there. I stopped by the front desk, told them she was kind of disoriented and could they please check on her around dinner time  I don't know if they will do that, but I tried.

I'll go back in the morning and stay for lunch and see if she has come out of it.  Walt and I were supposed to go to a G&S concert with some Lamplighters in Golden Gate Park, but I don't want to leave her.  He's going to go on the train,

No comments:

Post a Comment