Journey Through Dementia

Journey Through Dementia

Sunday, July 24, 2016

New Quirks

I decided we should not all go to Atria yesterday, especially not the grandkids, who don't really know her and she doesn't know them.  I was afraid too many people would be too overwhelming for her, so just Tom and Ned went.  Apparently other than answering the door in her bra and having to be asked a couple of times to put on a shirt, she was more the "old normal."  She even knew Jeri when Jeri called while they were there.

Today I went over to pick up her laundry and see how things were.  Again, she was more the "old normal" though the feeling that "something is wrong with my brain" seemed to be stronger and she spent a lot of time holding her heads in her hands..

But at one point we were in the middle of a conversation and suddenly I realized her eyes were closed and she was not aware I was there.  I thought for a minute she had died.  It was only a few seconds, then she gave a startle-like jump, looked around like she didn't know where she was and then was fine again. This happened 3 or four times while I was there, once it was like she froze in place--her eyes were open, but she was "gone" and then jumped and was back again.

I'm wondering if she is practicing dying.  She says it feels like her brain wants to leave but she doesn't want to.

I have written to make an appointment with the resident services director to talk about this new quirk and also what her options for additional care at Atria are...and how much raising her care level will cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment