Journey Through Dementia

Journey Through Dementia

Monday, October 19, 2015

49ers


I went to Atria today after halftime of the 49er game. My mother was pleased to see me, of course, and surprised that the 49er game was on.  She was always a big 49er fan, but now doesn't pay attention to when games are on, though if someone is there to watch it with her, she is happy to do that.

She will never again watch television by herself. They have changed her cable system to what is now actually much nicer, as it includes a built-in directory, so you aren't just flying blindly in your station choices.  But it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to work it (quite simple, really, once you understand the directions) and I know that there is no way on earth that she would ever be able to do it. As it is, after she moved in, I had to tape the keys of the remote to turn on her TV because she couldn't understand that you had to use the other remote to change the channels. She called me at least once a day to tell me that her TV was broken until I finally just made it impossible for her to use the number keys on her TV remote and force her to use the cable remote instead.

However, when I left, I did leave the TV set to CBS, which has a lot of shows she might watch, including news and Good Morning America, so maybe she will be able to watch if  the set doesn't switch back to the home screen again.

Of course, I think she watches almost no TV at all these days, so it's probably not a big concern.'

But we enjoyed the game. She did get into it and only asked half a dozen times if they were playing "here or there."  I was delighted that either the ethnic makeup of the teams at the moment has changed or she has forgotten that she used to obsess about the number of African Americans on the team.  Didn't mention that once, though we both commented on the number of tattoos some of the players had.

All in all, it was a pleasant afternoon and I'm glad that I went over there.  I'll have to do it again next time there is a 49er game that I happen to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment