Journey Through Dementia

Journey Through Dementia

Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Thanksgiving that Wasn't

Thanksgiving didn't happen the way we planned, but was very nice anyway but without my mother.

The plan had been to take dinner to her so we could have a family thanksgiving together in her apartment and she wouldn't have to leave Atria (which seems to scare her).  This was Ned's idea and better than mine, bringing her here to share Thanksgiving dinner with us.  Ned and Marta were bringing mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls; I was cooking the turkey and stuffing and making the pies.

My mother had never been particularly interested.  I had hoped the idea of having a family dinner would have pleased her, but she had been particularly blasé whenever I mentioned it, merely saying "well...whatever you want."

In the morning, hoping to help her remember that we were coming by in the afternoon, I brought the pumpkin pie, and a floral arrangement for the table.  I sat and talked with her and she said that she was feeling sick to her stomach.  Jeri called and we did a facetime chat and even that didn't help my mother.  She said she felt like vomiting.  It was obvious we needed to cancel our plans.  She said she was going to bed, and I left her lying on the couch looking miserable.  I will go over there today and see how she's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment